Thursday, July 15, 2021

Robin Family Update

Robin’s that I mentioned last month, are now a big happy family. The nest is a bit higher than my balcony, so the chicks are only visible at their feeding time. I can count three very hungry chicks from my vantage point. Their parents seem always busy feeding them with insects and grubs. Sometimes, when parents are not around, a few house sparrows come and visit them. I don’t know whether they are just curious or want to make friends with them. Anyway, they don’t seem to be a threat to the babies. They just sit around and watch them. I would like to believe that they are babysitting. I think that is rather cute. 

July 21st:
The nest is empty and the Robins are gone. I believe they all flew away. I carefully looked under the tree and into the tall grass. There was no sign of them. I don’t think that anything bad happened to them as the nest is still securely attached to the branch.

Yesterday, I saw one chick flexing its wings and trying to come out of the nest. So they were certainly ready for their first flight. But I never thought that they would leave so soon and so suddenly. During the past month and a half, I have become accustomed to watching them every day. I wish them luck and hope that someday they will return to their ancestral home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment