Saturday, May 30, 2020

Brahminy Myna


I was working on my computer when I heard an unfamiliar bird call outside. I rushed to the exterior with the camera in my hand. Birds here are very shy and taking snaps of them is rather challenging. A beautiful creature was sitting on the back wall. There was no time to check the camera settings so I took a couple of quick snaps. Then I tried to move a bit closer for a side profile but the bird was gone in an instant flying low into the high grass.

A little googling revealed that it was either a 'Neelkanth' (نیل کنٹھ) i.e. an Indian Roller bird or a Brahminy Myna. Since I was not able to see it from the sides, I remained confused. Both are said to be common throughout the Indo-Pak subcontinent. 

However, the bird in the picture was without the characteristic bluish hue on its throat which is a hallmark of Indian Rollers. Finally, its prominent crest, beak pattern, and a white under-tail decided the case in favor of the later.

No comments:

Post a Comment